We are hiring
Climate Neutral Group (CNG) is a leading international carbon consultancy and offset provider. We support companies in aligning with the Paris climate agreement and accelerating their transition to Net Zero. Our diverse team of climate specialists, sustainability experts and social entrepreneurs are developing innovative solutions tailored to the needs of not only specific businesses but also entire sectors. With our local knowledge and global reach, we are always on the pulse of the rapidly changing climate policy and regulatory environment.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing carbon offset projects in renewable energy, waste management, agriculture, forestry and Nature-Based Solutions. We guide project owners and developers all the way from project inception to the issuing of carbon credits in line with official carbon standards.
To further expand our flagship carbon development team in South Africa, we are currently looking to recruit a highly motivated and dedicated:
Technical Manager: Agriculture & Soil Carbon (full time)
based in Cape Town or Johannesburg, South Africa
As part of the Projects & Development team, you will play a leading role in the sourcing and management of Agriculture and soil mitigation projects in South Africa, including our flagship AgriCarbon Programme. As part of the sourcing activities, you will contribute to the sourcing strategy, the management of partnerships, and the technical evaluation of new business opportunities.
As part of carbon development activities, you will responsible for soil carbon management and research, evaluating suitable Agriculture and Land Management (ALM) carbon development methodologies and assisting with the development of the full project cycles, including the design of monitoring and reporting systems.
As part of the AgriCarbon programme you will be leading the technical division by providing guidance on sustainable farming practices, soil carbon dynamics, model updating, as well as gathering and processing data from farmers.
If you are an enthusiastic and experienced Agri-tech professional with an understanding of the latest sustainable agricultural best practices coupled with sound data management skills and a desire to make a meaningful difference to curb climate change, then we are looking for you!
In this key role, you will have an opportunity to:
- Lead the technical division of AgriCarbon and other Agricultural projects by providing guidance on sustainable farming practices, soil carbon dynamics, modelling and data gathering from farmers.
- Analyse large remotely sensed, Geospatial datasets for agriculture and range land applications
- Work in partnership with our data analytics team to develop and implement algorithms that support measurement, reporting and verification of carbon and ecosystem service outcomes to support natural climate solutions both nationally and internationally
- Research the effects of soil carbon and sustainable land-management practices on mitigating the impacts of climate change in agriculture
- Develop case studies and reports (including for peer review) providing insight into soil health and soil carbon processes modeled by CNG and partners
- Assist the carbon development team with the certification cycle of Agriculture mitigation projects; initial project assessments, PDD development, MRV and data collection, and MR reporting
- Assist in organising field excursions and conduct project field visits and stakeholder meetings, where required
- Assist with project feasibility assessments and provide technical advice to the evaluation of viable business models for agriculture, carbon farming mitigation projects across Africa
- Support the development of basic climate revenue models for new projects dealing with technologies in Sustainable Agriculture, Forestry and Land Use (AFOLU) management
- Assist with technical inputs to tenders and proposals as well as project info requests to Consultancy and Services team and the Marketing team
To be successful in this role, we will expect:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D Degree in any Agricultural Science majors (Agronomy, Plant/Crop Science, Horticulture, Plant Physiology, Animal husbandry, Plant Biotechnology, etc.) or any other related fields
- At least 3 years of experience working with and consulting to farmers on the ground by creatively translating farm data and designing new data collection points
- Experience with soil carbon measurement and modelling and inferential Statistics
- Extensive data analysis experience
- Strong team experience and capabilities to work with a variety of backgrounds, including software engineers, scientists and business teams
- The ability to translate your technical knowledge into insights accessible for our team and our clients
- Excellent oral and written skills in English with conversational Afrikaans beneficial
- Be able to work in a team environment and have good interpersonal skills and have a willingness to travel if needed
- South African citizen or holder of a valid work permit
In addition, we would appreciate:
- Experience in modeling yield and productivity resilience based on soil and environmental drivers
- Experience with remote sensing applications in a land based discipline
- Experience developing applications independently, as well as in a team
- Experience with software development life cycle
- Strong focus and desire to understand and meet customer needs, adjusting the models to meet the real world requirements
- Experience in carbon credit development beneficial, but not essential
- Basic knowledge on the domestic (South Africa) and international carbon markets
And if you have these, you will thrive at Climate Neutral Group:
- Passion about delivering value to clients and solving messy real-world problems
- The ability to organise yourself and others in an unstructured environment
- Preference to operating in an open/honest work environment
- A love of learning
- A desire to have a positive impact on something greater than you can achieve alone, being a part of the team, which is changing the world
Compensation at Climate Neutral Group South Africa:
To help us attract and retain top talent, CNG pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody CNG’s values
Salary is one component of CNG’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Company medical aid contributions, disability cover and life insurance;
- Employee retirement plan; and
- Funds to support professional development
Does this sound like your dream job? If so, go ahead and apply for the position and we’ll be in touch. We appreciate your interest in Climate Neutral Group.
Please complete the form below. For support email:
We encourage diversity in our team at all levels of the company. We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and to encourage these values in everyone on our team. We provide an environment of mutual respect where opportunities are available without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We believe that diversity and inclusion for people from all walks of life is key to our success as a company.
Application closing date: 22 April 2022
Earliest start date: 1 May 2022