We are hiring
Climate Neutral Group (CNG) is a leading international carbon consultancy and offset provider. We support companies in aligning with the Paris climate agreement and accelerating their transition to Net Zero. Our diverse team of climate specialists, sustainability experts and social entrepreneurs are developing innovative solutions tailored to the needs of not only specific businesses but also entire sectors.
Through our recent merger with Anthesis Group we have not only gained access to a global market for our Climate Neutral certfication, project development and offsetting initiatives, but also our clients benefit from the global Anthesis network and access to its industry leading experts.
Our Carbon Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing carbon offset projects in renewable energy, waste management, agriculture, forestry and Nature-Based Solutions. We guide project owners and developers all the way from project inception to the issuing of carbon credits in line with official carbon standards.
To further expand our flagship carbon development team in South Africa, we are currently looking to recruit a highly motivated and dedicated:
Carbon Project Developer (full time)
Office / Remote, based in South Africa
Main purpose of the position
As part of the Projects and Development team, you will play a leading role in contributing to the South African and broader African carbon market by developing the underlying carbon credits in various emission reduction projects.
You will be responsible for qualifying, developing and managing new and existing carbon offset projects and assist or lead in the external audit process.
If you are an enthusiastic professional with a sound understanding of carbon credit development, then we are looking for you!
Tasks & responsibilities
- Lead the technical division of AgriCarbon and other Agricultural projects by providing guidance on sustainable farming practices, soil carbon dynamics, modelling and data gathering from farmers.
- Analyse large remotely sensed, Geospatial datasets for agriculture and range land applications
- Work in partnership with our data analytics team to develop and implement algorithms that support measurement, reporting and verification of carbon and ecosystem service outcomes to support natural climate solutions both nationally and internationally
- Research the effects of soil carbon and sustainable land-management practices on mitigating the impacts of climate change in agriculture
- Develop case studies and reports (including for peer review) providing insight into soil health and soil carbon processes modeled by CNG and partners
- Assist the carbon development team with the certification cycle of Agriculture mitigation projects; initial project assessments, PDD development, MRV and data collection, and MR reporting
- Assist in organising field excursions and conduct project field visits and stakeholder meetings, where required
- Assist with project feasibility assessments and provide technical advice to the evaluation of viable business models for agriculture, carbon farming mitigation projects across Africa
- Support the development of basic climate revenue models for new projects dealing with technologies in Sustainable Agriculture, Forestry and Land Use (AFOLU) management
- Assist with technical inputs to tenders and proposals as well as project info requests to Consultancy and Services team and the Marketing team
To be successful in this role, we will expect:
- Responsible for the implementation and management of offset projects which includes:
- Carrying out carbon feasibility studies
- Drafting Project Design Documents (PDDs)
- Emissions baseline determination and surveys
- Additionality, leakage, eligibility, methodology evaluation and reduction calculations
- validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) activities under the applicable carbon standard (e.g. Gold Standard, Verra’s VCS)
- Conduct site visits, manage stakeholder engagements and feedback rounds and travel to project locations whenever needed
- Schedule Technical Reviews and Quality Checks
- Assist in sourcing and contracting suitable offset projects to expand CNG’s project portfolio
- Conduct various project sourcing tasks including, but not limited to, research, cross-checking qualifications under carbon standards, technical assessment, emission reduction estimates, project profitability / cash flow projections, additionality assessments, preparing presentations, writing reports and drafting agreements
- Lead the definition and planning of content and structure to support the certification of projects: work plans, work schedules, budgets and deliverables
- Keep up-to-date with knowledge on developments in terms of the South African and international carbon market and (inter-)national climate policy
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, projects owners, clients, verification bodies, stakeholders and other counterparts:
- Develop and maintain a network of project developers, verification bodies (VVBs) and standard bodies (e.g. Gold Standard and Verra’s VCS)
- Proactive networking with relevant organisations including potential project owners, technology providers, multi-laterals, public and private entities, government agencies and others
- A relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, ideally in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Energy Engineering, Economics or sustainability-related disciplines
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in carbon credit development with a proven track record in PDD writing and/or managing projects through the carbon project cycle;
- Candidates with more than 10 years relevant work experience will be considered for the role as Senior Carbon Project Developer
- Excellent knowledge of International carbon standards VCS (Verra), Gold Standard for the Global Goals and CDM and the most common carbon methodologies;
- Up-to-date knowledge on developments in terms of the international carbon market and (inter-)national environmental policy;
- A strong technical understanding of renewable energy, waste and industrial sectors in order to identify opportunities in the carbon market / climate change field, including methodologies required for the development of projects;
- Commercial skills, good business sense & target driven; able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment;
- Proven knowledge and network in the relevant fields;
- Attention to detail and ability to work both alone and in a team;
- Strong MS Excel and MS Word skills;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English;
Compensation at Climate Neutral Group South Africa
To help us attract and retain top talent, CNG pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody CNG’s values
Does this sound like your dream job? If so, go ahead and apply for the position and we’ll be in touch. In order for your application to be processed we require:
- A cover letter and CV highlighting your carbon development experience and track-record
- Proof that you are a South African citizen or resident or holder of a valid work permit
Please complete the form below. For support email:
We encourage diversity in our team at all levels of the company. We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and to encourage these values in everyone on our team. We provide an environment of mutual respect where opportunities are available without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We believe that diversity and inclusion for people from all walks of life is key to our success as a company.
Application closing date: 3 May 2022
Earliest start date: 3 May 2022