We are hiring
Climate Neutral Group (CNG) is a leading international carbon consultancy and offset provider. We support companies in aligning with the Paris climate agreement and accelerating their transition to Net Zero. Our diverse team of climate specialists, sustainability experts and social entrepreneurs are developing innovative solutions tailored to the needs of not only specific businesses but also entire sectors. Through our recent merger with Anthesis Group we have not only gained access to a global market for our Climate Neutral certification, project development and offsetting initiatives, but also our clients benefit from the global Anthesis network and access to its industry leading experts.
AgriCarbon is South Africa’s first carbon programme paying famers for the carbon credits they generate from their sustainable land management practises. Rotational grazing, cover cropping, reduced tillage, and other practices improves soil quality and the farmer’s bottom line. Now, through our AgriCarbon Programme, increased soil organic carbon and reduced greenhouse gas emissions from these practices can also generate carbon credits of the highest quality. These credits are purchased by companies in South Africa and abroad looking to offset their carbon footprint.
To further expand our flagship AgriCarbon programme in South Africa, we are currently looking to recruit a highly motivated and dedicated:
Business Development Manager: AgriCarbon
(full time – mid to senior)
based in Cape Town/Johannesburg, South Africa
The goal of the Business Development Manager is to grow Climate Neutral Group’s AgriCarbon business in South Africa. You will contribute to the drafting and implementation of the go-to-market strategy to sign-up new farmers and farmer organisations. You will collaborate closely with our Carbon Development team to build and prioritize our expansion roadmap and work closely with farmer organisations & co-ops, and agri service providers, to execute against that roadmap. Over time you will be expected to manage your own sales team and build a team of Regional Managers and agents. You will be expected to focus on our farmer clients–current and future, to understand their needs and help us build our business to meet those needs.
The position would suit someone with extensive experience in the commercial agriculture space coupled with excellent communication skills in dealing with famers face to face and over the phone, good business management skills and commercial flair; as well as being highly skilled and confident in establishing partnerships, winning new business and client engagement. Willingness to travel to remote farming areas across the country is a requirement and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are also valuable.
If you are an enthusiastic commercial Ag professional with an understanding of sustainable agricultural best practices coupled with a wide network and a desire to make a meaningful difference to curb climate change, then we are looking for you!
In this key role, you will have an opportunity to:
Lead a Partner Sales route to market for a defined set of AgriCarbon partners across South Africa
- Build deep relationships with various partners, such as Ag service providers, farmer associations, industry bodies etc. at local and regional level
- Coach partners to increase enrolments, differentiate competitive offerings, and build relationships
- Help create & communicate relevant information around enrolment and eligibility that matches the partners farmers segmentation and seasonal opportunities
- Help partners hit their KPI and carbon targets with customized strategies and prospecting
- Support Partners at grower events, field days, and webinars
Be the Leader and Advocate AgriCarbon’s Partners in South Africa
- Primary contact at national level, working innovatively to attain increased levels of enrolment via the AgriCarbon Partners
- Cultivate relationships with key influencers, such as private consultants, key retail personnel and others in leadership/influential positions
- Actively gather and communicate marketing information, retail account needs, and product/service improvements
- Serve as the primary conduit of communication between – the local / regional sales teams and the AgriCarbon Technical Manager
Lead Farmer Sales
- As part of your farmer direct route to market you will serve as the lead sourcing agent for new hectares to be enrolled in the AgriCarbon programme
- Territory Planning
- Develop strategic plans to achieve regional goals & scale partner relationships and farmer enrolments
- Sourcing, qualify and initiate contact with key farmers in a local area/region
- Accurately and compellingly present the AgriCarbon programme & benefits to each qualified farmer
- Ability to articulate value proposition of the AgriCarbon programme to a farmer’s unique situation
- Be persistent in ensuring farmers enrol in the AgriCarbon programme
- Educate/enable farmers to map fields
- Go through eligibility check & enrol and/or be able to source field maps
- Hits KPIs and carbon targets with customized strategies and prospecting
- Support farmer field events and webinars
Business & Strategy Development
- Further refine and expand the AgriCarbon Sales and Marketing Strategy
Account Management through the enrolment process
- Maintain good contact with key farmers and other key CNG / AgriCarbon team to ensure successful Carbon customer enrolment
- Be a conduit between the farmer/grower and Climate Neutral Group
- Can break down complex new products to effectively influence stakeholders
- Understands the customer’s needs that cultivates trust & lasting relationships
- Strong business sense and understanding of economics especially as it relates to agriculture
- Shows optimism and an ability to recover from setbacks and keeps going despite adversity
- Exhibits an ability to adopt change willingly and adjust to changing expectations
- Shows a desire to improve abilities and a need to master difficult tasks for growth
- Accountability for your actions that shows initiative and brings about positive results
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to utilize new technologies and tools to provide data-driven information to growers
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross-functional internal relationships and handoffs
- Ability to leverage shared successes to elevate the broader team’s performance
- Fluency in Afrikaans is essential(Zulu or Xhosa an added advantage)
- A minimum of 5-8 years of a demonstrated track record of high sales performance in the ag space, i.e., inputs, biologicals, etc.
- Tertiary qualification(s) in Commerce / Agronomy or related field
- Experience working directly with farmers
- An existing network of business/relationships with retailers, large growers/landowners, industry influencers, or other channel partners.
- Passion for hunting new accounts and developing industry relationships
- Comfortable with technology and agriculture management software
- Experience using sales support CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- Proven ability to meet/exceed sales targets in the ag industry
- Demonstrated adaptability in sales skills, processes and approaches
Compensation at Climate Neutral Group South Africa
To help us attract and retain top talent, CNG pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody CNG’s values
Salary is one component of CNG’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Company medical aid contributions, disability cover and life insurance;
- Employee retirement plan; and
- Funds to support professional development.
Does this sound like your dream job? If so, go ahead and apply for the position and we’ll be in touch. We appreciate your interest in Climate Neutral Group.
Please complete the form below. For support email:
We encourage diversity in our team at all levels of the company. We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and to encourage these values in everyone on our team. We provide an environment of mutual respect where opportunities are available without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We believe that diversity and inclusion for people from all walks of life is key to our success as a company.
Application closing date: Until vacancy is filled
Earliest start date: 1 July 2022